Thursday, March 15, 2012

Heart Break, Fried Chicken & The Mickey Mouse Miracle

Heart Break
Today Quinn was telling me how she "love daddy." I said "I love Quinn. Does Quinn love mama?" And she said "Quinn love daddy. No like mama." I felt my heart break a little. Is this a sign of things to come? I know she's only 2 and probably (hopefully) doesn't understand everything she says, but it still kind of stings a little. Nowadays when Marshall gets home Quinn pretty much doesn't want anything to do with me. She told me to leave the room the other night hahaha It's kind of funny and cute and I understand. I want to get away from her most of the time sometimes once Marshall get's home.  I guess she's going through her "daddy's girl" phase right now and who can blame her? He's a pretty great guy :)


Fried Chicken
Since I've been pregnant and found out I have gestational diabetes, I've been pretty careful about what I eat. At least sweets wise (who am I kidding though - I still have a sweet in some form or another a couple times a day - everything in moderation right?). But I've kind of been eating a lot of bacon and sausage and eggs and cheese burgers with bacon and a variety of other fatty foods (I know these things aren't good for blood sugar either, but...). Anyway, today I made my first fried chicken. I even cut up a whole chicken. The poor thing was mutilated...Anyway, I used a recipe from Ina Garten's Family Style cookbook. It turned out fantastic! I soaked the chicken parts in buttermilk over night and then coated them in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. I fried them in vegetable shortening and safflower oil for a while and then baked them in the oven. I just wish I could have had some mashed potatoes or waffles with it. Instead I had to settle for broccoli with cheese. Oh and I was just reminded of this video, good times...

There was more than this, but we ate it :)
Mickey Mouse Miracle
We've been working on "potty training" Quinn for a while now. We are not consistent, so that's probably all part of the problem. She also just seemed to really hate the potty. But I've discovered that if I bribe her with an episode of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse she'll go in the potty. We've only been really working on this since Saturday and it's been kind of a busy week, so we're still not being super consistent, but it seems to be working for now :)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, she loves you. When she gets hurt she still calls for you...about half the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all part of the "terrible two's" stage.....all you kids went through it too! It does tear at the heartstrings though. We were the center of their universe for so long, and then we are treated as merely their "servant" while dad gets all the loving attention. It is good that it is daddy's turn to "shine" (and your turn to get a well-deserved little break!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fried chicken looks so good!

    ReplyDelete